The answer depends on the type of insurance coverage you have while on COBRA. As long as you are enrolled in a qualified high deductible health plan, you can make contributions. That is one of the stipulations for opening and contributing to an HSA.

When it comes to your HSA and COBRA, having the flexibility to pay for continuing coverage or other health insurance with your tax-free benefit account dollars can ease some of the fears from losing your job