Notice 2021-01 and its impact on COBRA Extensions
OCA hosted a webinar on Thursday, March 11th, at 1:00 PM to do a deep dive into the newly released Notice 2021-01 and its impact on COBRA Extensions. We also discussed the operational impact it will have on employers, plan participants, and OCA.
Notice 2021-01 Action Plans
- On our COBRA participant portal, OCA has already posted a copy of the new notice to COBRA qualified beneficiaries, providing guidance on the outbreak period relief issued in EBSA Disaster Relief Notice 2021-01.
- The DOL has expressly noted that a notice is required to the extent prior communications did not contemplate this application of the 1-year rule.
- It is strongly recommended that these notices are mailed to all impacted Qualified Beneficiaries (QBs) and COBRA participants. By default, OCA will be mailing this relief notice for an additional fee of $2.25 per notice. If after consulting with your legal counsel you believe that a mailing is not required, please let us know by 3/25/21 and we will not mail the notice to your Qualified Beneficiaries. To opt out, please click here.
- MHP NJ will be absorbing the notice fee cost for OCA’s MHP NJ clients.
- To view a copy of OCA’s Outbreak Period Notice, please click here.